Parents are an important part of a players’ soccer development and a team’s success as well as an integral part of the Cainhoy Athletic community. As such, parents’ behavior on the sideline and support of their child is of the utmost importance. All parents associated with Cainhoy Athletic are invited to share in the pleasure of watching their children participate in the world’s most popular sport, so long as their behavior does not distract the players and officials from the free flow of play. We ask that parents and guardians adhere to these guidelines.
A parent or guardian should:
- Foster an environment of respect for referees, players, coaches, and spectators of the opposing team
- Applaud superior play, effort, and sportsmanship by players on both teams.
- Support your coaches and managers consistently regardless of the results on the field. Coaches contribute many hours of their time to your children. They deserve your congratulations when the team wins and your encouragement when the team doesn’t.
- Allow the coaches to manage the players and refrain from offering additional instruction during games or practices. Spectator direction and instructions from the sideline to the players on the field is counterproductive to player development.
- Communicate any concerns to the coach at the appropriate time (recommended 24 hour cool off period) away from the playing location and players.
A parent or guardian must:
- Never use foul language or obscene gestures at a game or practice site.
- Avoid comments and gestures that express disagreement with referee decisions.
- Cooperate with any request by the game officials.
- Never consume alcoholic beverages on the field location at practices or games.
- Never follow or confront a referee or match official after the game.